Monday, January 11, 2010

United Matches Southwest's (and Frontier's) Promo for Colorado Residents

Let the Denver airline wars continue. As we predicted last week, both United and Frontier have matched (and in United, case, upped) the offer that Southwest initiated.

Southwest is offering a free ticket for each ticket purchased. United is similarly offering Colorado residents who purchase a ticket by February 14th a free additional ticket to any North American destination. For customers who purchase a ticket to a trans-Atlantic/Pacific or South American destination, United will offer a ticket anywhere in the world United flies.

Clearly, United is looking to leverage their global heft in the "Denver Wars" - clearly a free ticket to Sydney or Cancun is a lot more exciting than Amarillo. (No offense to Amarillo, of course.)

1 comment:

  1. Yep, it looks good on paper, but this 'deal' is a bunch of crap. I am planning on flying next month, so I was excited when I found out about UAL's 'Deal of the Century', but when I went to book my flight - I found that the cost difference between a regular flight and a qualifying flight for this deal was over $400. I would have blown that off except, the flights (the time they took off, the numbers) were the exact same flights!! The only difference was the fare class. So United wanted me to pay an extra $410 to take advantage of their 'Deal'. No such thing as a 'free' flight.

    ReplyDelete